New hire bids

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
Message
Author
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:57 am

Re: New hire bids

#201 Post by Black_Tusk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:16 pm

..
---------- ADS -----------
  
Last edited by Black_Tusk on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:57 am

Re: New hire bids

#202 Post by Black_Tusk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:18 pm

KenoraPilot wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:43 pm
Funny to think anyone with any time or experience in aviation thought they were getting something for free and/or a guarantee. I've been flying for 15 years and not once has anything been "given to me". The con/disappointment each of you are feeling is the fact you "believed" you were for sure getting something like Air Canada. Sure PML 1.0 was a decent deal, but common, even that people were PFO. I remember my initial day of hire at Jazz we asked about "FPML or PML 2.0" and we were told by Steve that they were working on one, but nothing was set in stone. Air Canada had to decide what to do. Yes of course the carrot was made to entice cheap labour to keep Jazz competitive against GGN and Sky. You didn't have to accept the job with Jazz if you didn't like the conditions, but we all did. Never once was anything in written given to me saying you're going to AC if you come to Jazz. Yes we all heard through the grape vine and the companies advertised a "flow through" but did they every tell you what exactly the conditions were?

We all (B Scale) made the choice to come here with the "hope" of a PML flow through but I sure wasn't handed anything saying it was a guarantee on my day of hire in March 2016.

Stop whining about what you're deserved in life, we aren't deserving of anything we don't work for. No one has a crystal ball on which decision are best. Please try and enjoy your time at Jazz cause otherwise you and the people around you are going to suffer and make this place worse off. If you hate it here, stop complaining and just leave to Sunwing or Transat. I don't want you at a company working next to me if you can't be at least pleasant about what you have or where you work. Life isn't easy, grow up.
Well said and I %100 agree.

The PML2.0 Facebook group has a good example of a bunch of whiners who feel like they are entitled to a job at AC, most of which are 500 hour instructors who have been at the company for 6 months.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Jack_02
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: New hire bids

#203 Post by Jack_02 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:53 am

Hello, I have a couple questions about the new hire bids.

What equipment is generally most popular, and chosen by the guys with the 1st pick? CRJ, Q400, or Dash?

If you're the last person to chose and all that is left is the CRJ, but you don't want to fly on the CRJ is there any way of getting out of it?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------
  

FL-280
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Re: New hire bids

#204 Post by FL-280 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:43 am

You put the order right IMO.... RJ, Q and then Classic Dash.
The only reason why I would see someone not want to fly the RJ is they want to be YYZ based and there is no RJ in YYZ....
In this case, the only way to get out of it is to wait 2 years and bid a machine that is at the YYZ base. (normal freeze is 4 years, but freeze is waived for upgrade or down graded to two years to get a base)
---------- ADS -----------
  

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:57 am

Re: New hire bids

#205 Post by Black_Tusk » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:31 pm

Jack_02 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:53 am
Hello, I have a couple questions about the new hire bids.

What equipment is generally most popular, and chosen by the guys with the 1st pick? CRJ, Q400, or Dash?

If you're the last person to chose and all that is left is the CRJ, but you don't want to fly on the CRJ is there any way of getting out of it?

Thanks!
If youre last to pick, and the RJ is still available I will eat my sock.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
KenoraPilot
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:34 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: New hire bids

#206 Post by KenoraPilot » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:39 pm

Black_Tusk wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:31 pm
Jack_02 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:53 am
Hello, I have a couple questions about the new hire bids.

What equipment is generally most popular, and chosen by the guys with the 1st pick? CRJ, Q400, or Dash?

If you're the last person to chose and all that is left is the CRJ, but you don't want to fly on the CRJ is there any way of getting out of it?

Thanks!
If youre last to pick, and the RJ is still available I will eat my sock.
LMAO I'd love to see that lol
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
HansDietrich
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:33 am

Re: New hire bids

#207 Post by HansDietrich » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:43 am

The least popular airplane is the Dash 8 Classic, for obvious reasons! If you want YYZ base, then it would be the RJ. The least popular base, YUL.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Das ist mir wurst...

CanadianPilotQc
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:27 pm

Re: New hire bids

#208 Post by CanadianPilotQc » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:03 am

anybody knows the equipments bids in initial GS this month? still 2 class a month ?
---------- ADS -----------
  

FL-280
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Re: New hire bids

#209 Post by FL-280 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:14 am

Only god knows the bid for the upcoming months:P But seriously, impossible to tell.
I believe we are still at a GS every 2-3 weeks yes.

If you want my best guess at it, expect a lot of YVR and YUL all equipment.
---------- ADS -----------
  

mixturerich
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:04 pm

Re: New hire bids

#210 Post by mixturerich » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:28 am

Last bids were 2 RJ, 6 Q400, 4 Classic, all YUL.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
JetSetter87
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:52 pm

Re: New hire bids

#211 Post by JetSetter87 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:44 pm

mixturerich wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:28 am
Last bids were 2 RJ, 6 Q400, 4 Classic, all YUL.
Hello,

can you please explain what do you mean by that. By new bids do you mean these are the positions open for the GS that is ongoing or for the next one to happen.

Cheers!
---------- ADS -----------
  

Bajan Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:07 am

Re: New hire bids

#212 Post by Bajan Pilot » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:24 am

Those were the positions that were available for that initial g/s course.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
JetSetter87
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:52 pm

Re: New hire bids

#213 Post by JetSetter87 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:09 pm

Bajan Pilot wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:24 am
Those were the positions that were available for that initial g/s course.
Awesome! Thanks for the clarification.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Mach .28
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:15 pm

Re: New hire bids

#214 Post by Mach .28 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:32 pm

What’s the wait time now to hold a YYC position? Both f/o and capt if available.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
KenoraPilot
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:34 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: New hire bids

#215 Post by KenoraPilot » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:58 pm

The DH8 in YYC for FO is around 2-6mths depending on the movement. Captain I believe the most junior DH8 YYC is around 12-15mths.
---------- ADS -----------
  

MortyBubba
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:38 pm

#216 Post by MortyBubba » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:45 am

March 12 GS

4 YVR RJ
4 YVR Q400
4 YYZ Classic

In case anyone was wondering.
---------- ADS -----------
  

flyingcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:55 am

Re: New hire bids

#217 Post by flyingcanuck » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:32 am

Hi there, few quick questions. Got my GS coming up and I have been thinking about this a bit.

If my end goal is YYZ, how long would it take to go from YUL or YVR? My plan if possible would be to get on the Q400 at another base and go to YYZ if not offered in YYZ.

Does it really matter what AC your on, D8 vs Q4? (excluding RJ because YYZ) In the end you don't really have as much of a choice regardless, Id still like different thoughts.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
HansDietrich
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:33 am

Re: New hire bids

#218 Post by HansDietrich » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:37 am

flyingcanuck wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:32 am
Hi there, few quick questions. Got my GS coming up and I have been thinking about this a bit.

If my end goal is YYZ, how long would it take to go from YUL or YVR? My plan if possible would be to get on the Q400 at another base and go to YYZ if not offered in YYZ.

Does it really matter what AC your on, D8 vs Q4? (excluding RJ because YYZ) In the end you don't really have as much of a choice regardless, Id still like different thoughts.

Thanks!
To some it matters, others not so much. My only advice is know exactly what you're getting into, so you don't have any regrets down the road. Be honest with yourself.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Das ist mir wurst...

Bajan Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:07 am

Re: New hire bids

#219 Post by Bajan Pilot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:53 pm

"My plan if possible would be to get on the Q400 at another base and go to YYZ if not offered in YYZ"

You would have to be awarded the Q4 in the 1st. place, otherwise you are frozen on type for 3 years [or at least that is how it used to be]. Always pick your best base 1st. the equip can come later.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
HansDietrich
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:33 am

Re: New hire bids

#220 Post by HansDietrich » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:16 am

Bajan Pilot wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:53 pm
"My plan if possible would be to get on the Q400 at another base and go to YYZ if not offered in YYZ"

You would have to be awarded the Q4 in the 1st. place, otherwise you are frozen on type for 3 years [or at least that is how it used to be]. Always pick your best base 1st. the equip can come later.
I disagree 100%. Pick the plane you want, because the base will come way quicker than the plane. (Except YYZ RJ)...
---------- ADS -----------
  
Das ist mir wurst...

av8ts
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

Re: New hire bids

#221 Post by av8ts » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:26 am

HansDietrich wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:16 am
Bajan Pilot wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:53 pm
"My plan if possible would be to get on the Q400 at another base and go to YYZ if not offered in YYZ"

You would have to be awarded the Q4 in the 1st. place, otherwise you are frozen on type for 3 years [or at least that is how it used to be]. Always pick your best base 1st. the equip can come later.

I disagree 100%. Pick the plane you want, because the base will come way quicker than the plane. (Except YYZ RJ)...
That’s right. Your froze on the plane not the base
---------- ADS -----------
  

mbav8r
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:11 am
Location: Manitoba

Re: New hire bids

#222 Post by mbav8r » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:54 am

The “freeze” only applies to your position, if you can hold Captain on any equipment at any base you will be able to bid it.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
HansDietrich
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:33 am

Re: New hire bids

#223 Post by HansDietrich » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:23 am

mbav8r wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:54 am
The “freeze” only applies to your position, if you can hold Captain on any equipment at any base you will be able to bid it.
That's correct. But the reality of it is that the Classic Dash is still the most junior "Left Seat" at Jazz, so flying right seat on the Classic, getting left seat on the RJ is not very realistic, not to mention "less than ideal". I'm actually surprised Jazz (theoretically) allows someone with no jet experience to go left seat on a plane they have never flown. You could be a Seneca student, spend 3 years on the right seat of a Dash 8, get your PIC some way or another to get your AAs signed off and then theoretically upgrade to left seat RJ
---------- ADS -----------
  
Das ist mir wurst...

rudder
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1614
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm

Re: New hire bids

#224 Post by rudder » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:08 am

HansDietrich wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:23 am
I'm actually surprised Jazz (theoretically) allows someone with no jet experience to go left seat on a plane they have never flown. You could be a Seneca student, spend 3 years on the right seat of a Dash 8, get your PIC some way or another to get your AAs signed off and then theoretically upgrade to left seat RJ
It has happened.

In the middle 1990’s AC laid off pilots that were hired late 1980’s. Many of these pilots were second officers at AC and prior to that had no jet time or no command time over 12,500 lbs.

After the layoff, many came back as CRJ Captains.

Not ideal, but it happens. The result could be 2 pilots up front with as little as a grand total of 100 hours of combined jet experience (all accumulated under supervision).
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
KenoraPilot
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:34 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: New hire bids

#225 Post by KenoraPilot » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:43 pm

Guess its slowing down, rumour is 12 people per month now. Only 1 GS a month till Dec 2018.....but again who knows may always change, and again rumours.....
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”